It was early on in my existence on this planet that I started to realize WE HAVE to care. I was an earth warrior by the age of 8, setting up recycling in our house. Though, as an adult I worry that we have ONE day that we call Earth Day - its just not going to work. We need to believe
, share and teach that every day is Earth Day.
When renovating the barn to create The Farm Studio each step was met with "what is the most sustainable option?"
11 Ways The Farm Studio is Eco-Wise
1. Non-toxic earth-based paints on the walls
2. Whey-based poly for the floor
3. Flooring was sustainable harvested and milled in NH
4. Composting toilet
5. Blankets, mats, and props are made from recycled or sustainable sourced products
6. Heat is carefully scheduled to only run when needed
7. Mugs instead of paper cups
8. Recycled paper products bathroom
9. Green cleaning products
10. Plants throughout the spaces to keep air clean instead of synthetic products
11. No paper handouts - everything is online
Being intentionally eco-wise is about celebrating the creativity of creation, being good stewards with what we're given, and passing on those values to the next generation.
There are tons of little things we can do in our homes to play a small part in reducing landfill waste, cleaning the air, and preserving the natural landscape. But we double our efforts when we get our kids involved, helping them understand the why to our what.
When they get it, it'll be second nature when they're adults—and that much easier to pass it down to their children.
11 Ways You Can Go Green Every Damn Day in 2019!
1.Compost your food scraps
2. Bring your reusable bags to the store
3. Use stainless steel straws (ditch the single use plastic asap!)
4. Plant flowers, herb garden, window boxes, veggie garden, or plant pots
5. Use a reusable glass or plastic water bottle. Mason jars are great too
6. If its yellow...let it mellow...if its brown...flush it down
7. Wash laundry on cold setting instead of warm/hot
8. Turn off lights when you leave the room
9. Support your local farmer / local crafter / local store
10. Reuse scrap paper / use one-sided paper / print on both sides
11. Put a stop to unsolicited mail—sign up to opt out of pre-screened credit card offers. While you're at it, if you're in the U.S., go ahead and make sure you're on the "do not call" list, just to make your life more peaceful.
There is a lot more we can do every day and frankly - we have too. What are your favorite ways you live eco-wise?